Thursday 5 November 2009

Battering Kettering

Did you see that? I must admit that, in commentary, I found myself falling back onto a sense of incredulity that the Wrexham side which has looked so uncreative could suddenly burst into life so fruitfully.

Never mind the fact that we were denied at the close; if we keep playing like that, we'll win plenty of games this season.

That's the point though; if we can keep doing it. Let's hope we can build on a performance of actual quality and keep replicating it.
There was certainly plenty to work on. That lack of creativity I alluded to earlier was absent: Lamine Sakho and Curtis Obeng offered genuine threats on either flank, ably backed up by the full backs, and with the centre of midfield under our control.

Something which particularly pleased me was that we looked good against a side which played 4-3-3, a system I'd say we haven't looked all that clever against this season. We used the width I mentioned earlier to exploit the lack of width in the system, with the two Kettering wide men basically strikers, and finally necessitated a switch to 4-4-2.

Let's hope we can now replicate this in a couple of home games which, on the face of it, look very winnable. Lowestoft and Hayes will, I would imagine, not offer us such space behind their defence or down its sides as they won't come at us like Kettering tried to.

So can we crack a team open when they park the bus? We all know the season so far has been characterised by a failure to do so, but did the Kettering game show us that we are about to turn a corner going forward? I sincerely hope so!

No comments:

Wrexham Calendar