Thursday 30 September 2010

Room For Racchi?

I know the budget's tight. I know we've got a lot of midfield choices. But did we miss out on Danny Racchi?

The reason I ask is that I'm one of the sad ones who has coughed up for a subscription to Premium Sports. Yes, I'm one of the rare few who are willing to pay to watch fifth division football that doesn't feature the team I support. I try to justify it by telling myself that the cost for a month is about the price of half a ticket to a Conference game. Then I stick my fingers in my ears in the hope that I won't be able to hear the logical side of my brain's reply.

Anyway, Racchi was playing on Premium TV for York City earlier this week. And he looked good.

I must admit that I didn't see his performances in our pre-season friendlies as I went on holiday instead (There, I chose going on holiday over watching meaningless uncompetitive games. I do have some perspective!) However, I'm told he looked useful. Dean Saunders must have agreed as he kept him on, at least on non-contract terms.

I was also told he was a winger. Maybe so, but what I saw on TV suggested he's much more than that. He's a feisty midfielder who can strike the ball, as was proven by a couple o flong distance near-misses. He's also confident enough to have a go from free kicks, and although he got nowhere near as close when he hit a dead ball, it says something of his confidence that he's got himself to the front of the queue on set pieces so soon after arriving at the club. For a little guy, he's no mug in the air either.

I'd be stupid to draw lasting conclusions on him from watching one game. However, if I'd seen him play like that in a friendly I'd have been clamouring for us to keep him on. Wonder if he's likely to give us a second go if York's new manager doesn't take a shine to him?

No comments:

Wrexham Calendar