Sunday 21 September 2008

Give Murtagh A Go!

I'm still coming to terms with what happened yesterday. A lot of people have asked me if it was as bad as it sounded, and the only possible answer is a resounding yes!

The total lack of creativity in midfield is a huge concern, although to be fair the blame should be laid squarely on Little's door; he set them up to play that way. Having said that, I'd like to see Conall Murtagh given a go in there-I know he missed pre-season, but he's ready to get on the pitch and he can both tackle and pass. Actually, maybe that means he doesn't suit the gameplan!

With Christian Smith not looking the part and Tom Taylor apparently lacklustre in the games he's managed behind closed doors, it's starting to feel like a no-brainer to me!

If I was suddenly asked to be the new manager for Tuesday (not as unlikely as you might think-I've got a terrific record on Football Manager!) I'd look to play a high energy 4-4-2, pressing and discomforting the opposition. Pushing high up the pitch would leave us in danger of being caught on the break, so we'd need pace at the back, but that doesn't really worry me because I'd have Pejic and Brown in there anyway. Pejic was the only member of the back four who did okay at Cambridge, yet that remains his one appearance this season.

Likewise Mike Williams is still waiting to have a go in the first team. I'm not advocating he should jump the queue ahead of Carl Tremarco and Neil Taylor-left back seems to be the one position we look secure in! However, he's never let us down, and plenty of players who are doing that are getting a chance.

Likewise, can't we give Michael Proctor a start? He's a penalty area opportunist, the one striker we've got who is the type to link off Louis. Shaun Whalley has done okay, but he's more of an individualist and doesn't seem to read Louis' flicks. In fact he's more of a winger to me-he looks as likely to score cutting in from the flank as through the middle I feel, and the stats bear me out-he has scored two goals from each position.

But then what do I know? I don't even think long balls onto Shaun Whalley's head's a good idea!

No comments:

Wrexham Calendar